During the War of 1812 the Church was used first as a hospital by the British and Canadian forces and as a barracks by the Americans. When Major General Sir Isaac Brock was killed at Queenston, Addison conducted his funeral service and followed the cortege to the burial site in Fort George.
The American forces occupied the town in 1813. They destroyed the Fort and dug rifle pits in the cemetery, the contours of which can still be seen. The Church was used for stores and several of the markers in the cemetery bear the marks of what the local residents believed to be the scars left when the cooks used them for chopping meat. Before retreating across the river, the enemy burned the entire town except for one house and the lighthouse.
As soon as the town was liberated, the British army replaced the roof of the Church and used the building for their stores until their own Fort and commissary could be rebuilt. Since the first priority was to rebuild their houses, it was some time before attention could be given to refurbishing the Church and it was not until 1828 that St. Mark’s was formally rededicated. A bell was furnished by public subscription and intended both to call people to worship and to sound the alarm in case of a fire in the town.
In 2012, the bicentennial of the War of 1812, a Remembrance on the Eve of War (see link for more information) was held at St. Mark’s Church.
More information regarding St. Mark’s connection to the War of 1812 can be found in the .pdf Between Friends.
Check out this wonderful video of the re-enactment on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHXw1bj4lQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player.
Photos from the recent event “Brock’s Funeral Procession” October 14th, 2012.